Saturday, June 1, 2013

A New Month

Well my "Big Month" of May is officially over now and today is the first day of June. June is also a great time of year to see some neat birds in the park and today was no exception. Among other birds today I spotted a Great Blue Heron, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Yellow Warbler, my first Hummingbird of the year, and even a Turkey Vulture! Off the wood chip trail on the southwest side I spotted a small drab colored bird hopping around quickly in a pile of dead branches. Since I couldn't quickly identify it I watched for a while until I could see it out in the open and realized it was a Wren. I had a heck of a time getting a decent photo as he just wouldn't stay put for more than a brief second or so. I've seen a few earlier in the season when there was much less foliage for them to hide. I know there are different types of Wrens but going strictly by the time of year I saw this one I'm guessing it is a House Wren. The next item I really want to share on my blog here is not a bird but a plant that I've become very familiar with over the past few years. This is a Jack-in-the-Pulpit I also spotted along the same wood chip trail but nearer the end where it meets back up with the paved path on the west side. I don't claim to know much about them yet, other than what they look like with big, broad, dark green leaves that look like they would fit right into the Amazon jungle or something. And then there's the flower portion which is a very unique looking growth that includes a "hood" that folds over the top. They are fairly common in the park this time of year. and this particular one was quite large making it easy to spot growing only a few feet off the trail. Later near the baseball diamonds on the west side I spotted a male Bluebird perched on the chain link fencing. I kept sneaking in closer and closer for a better photo but every time I would scare him off into the neighboring treeline. Eventually he would come back though onto the fence but never in the same place. Finally I just walked along the treeline and was able to get close enough for a good photo. Bluebirds have just not been as plentiful in the park as in past years and this year it is quite a treat just to see one. A short time later on the north side I had another good photo opportunity, this time of a Common Yellowthroat in some thick Buckthorn trees. Luckily he perched out near the edge in a more open space. Come late June and July the Common Yellowthroat can be heard singing constantly in the park. They have a very easy to recognize and remember "whichety–whichety–wichety" song that I often try to imitate poorly! Click here to listen to it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment