Monday, December 31, 2012

Last Hike of 2012

Today was New Years Eve and for the first time in many years I had to work today. I was able to leave a bit early though and so I was able to hike around the park one last time in 2012. I didn't arrive until after 4pm so I didn't have much daylight. The first thing I spotted on the north side was a Northern Shrike who seemed to be having a hard time perching on a branch. When I looked closer with my binoculars I realized he had a mouse! This was the first time I've ever spotted one with a catch and it was exciting but he was so far away. I wanted a photo so badly that I hiked out into the snow and quickly scared him off. He took his catch to another tree out in the middle of the park to eat. I later found myself hiking out along the banks of Shingle Creek near the north side. Despite how loud the snow is to walk on, I could periodically hear little noises beneath me that sounded like chewing. I've been noticing runways in the snow everywhere lately -made by either Mice or Voles. On the banks of the creek there is tall grass most of the year and it must be heaven for the little ground critters here -especially in the winter. It probably keeps most of the snow just far enough off the ground to give them places to live. Here and there were little holes where grasses poked out and if I watched closely I could see what looked like a Vole pop his head out quickly. Again I thought I'd try and get a photo but they were just too quick for me. At one point I could hear rustling underneath me and as I watched the runways I could see a rodent running through it, appearing only briefly when the runway would break through the upper crust of the snow. It was pretty funny. Just before sunset I did spot another Great Horned Owl but he was facing away from me. From this angle the really look lumpy and awkward perched in a tree. I attempted to make a GHO call by muffling a series of 5 "whoo whoos" into my gloves. Apparently I must suck at it though as the Owl abruptly flew off when he heard my terrible impression. Well, the world did not end either as the Mayans had predicted so I look forward to many more hikes at the park next year. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment