Sunday, August 12, 2012

Just Wouldn't Rain

I'd procrastinated all morning about visiting the park today because there was supposed to be a 70% of rain. Well it never seemed to materialize so I finally decided to get in my hike just after 2:00pm. It was quite overcast so I brought a large plastic zip-lock bag to fit over my new camera just in case. It looks pretty stupid but it works. Upon arriving on the east side I noticed the Barn Swallows zooming all over the baseball fields. I tried to catch a photo mid-flight which seemed to be near impossible. So instead I waited for a few of the to perch on top of the chain link fence behind home plate, then stand up on the bleachers for a closer view. They are such colorful birds when you get to see them being still. A bit later I noticed a small yellow bird in the thick trees just inside the trail. The fact that it was moving quickly around inside was actually a good thing because it gave me a few chances to see it through various openings in the foliage. As I was shooting it I could hardly tell what it was but I suspected it was a female Common Yellowthroat. It quickly withdrew further back into the thick foliage and I lost it. Just after crossing the bridge over Shingle Creek on the north side, I heard a loud call that I recognized as a Pileated Woodpecker and when I looked up I caught a glance of him flying through the trees. I often forget how cool -and large- these birds are and I decided to pursue a photo as I doubled back towards him. I would have to trek through the woods to get closer and decided it would likely make too much noise before I got close. About this time I spotted a second one and decided to go up further to the grassy field and then see if I could still see them. I then heard them call again but this time it was closer to the bridge so I went back again. As soon as I stepped onto the bridge, one of them flew right out onto a fallen tree that was hanging in the creek. I didn't even notice at first but the other one was also there, below the tree and drinking from the creek. This was a pretty unique sight I thought as I've never seen a Pileated drinking water, much less even near water! After the first one finished, the second one scooted down the tree (backwards) and into the same spot for a drink. I could see that they were both males from the red mustache behind their bill. Despite the lack of sun today it was actually quite nice out. The temp was mild, near or below 70º which is quite a change from the 90º+ days that we've had all summer long. I was thoroughly enjoying the rest of my hike when I spotted yet another bird that always is a joy to see. A Ruby-throated Hummingbird zoomed just out of my field of view over a nice big patch of Jewelweed plants. Luckily I spotted where he landed in some taller trees and then waited for him to come back down and feed some more. It didn't take long before I had a decent view of him hovering in mid air straight out from me about 20 feet. They can hover in such precise positions that sometimes I thought I was seeing something else like a leaf or something. Then the bird would move and I realized that I should have gotten my camera on him sooner! I got in a few shots before he perched again in some taller trees over the Jewelweed for another rest. Typically by this time of year I've seen a lot more Hummingbirds in the park and they really seem to be somewhat lower in numbers this year.

2 comments:

  1. Good blog Travis. Nice shots particularly of the pileatted woodpecker and the hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog Travis. Nice shots particularly of the pileatted woodpecker and the hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete