Sunday, July 22, 2012

Slowly it is Surely Summer


With a healthy amount of rain and warm temps, the park is life. At the start of my walk today I saw a young Buck with velvety spiked antlers, a female Redstart, Eastern Phoebe and a Green Heron among other things. As with many summer days it started out hazy but gradually "burned off" as I made my way around. For all of the birds above me there are equally interesting things below me and one of them that caught my eye was this tiny little snail making his way across a leaf. I just love snails and how slow they move. It reminds me that nature develops slowly but surely and perfectly. Sometimes I wish I were a snail and able to experience life at that pace versus my often too-hectic life. The next thing of interest I decided to post today is this pair of Mushrooms. I can't say for sure if I've seen this type before but if I have it's not been to often. A lot of mushrooms I see at the park have a skinnier shaft and wider "umbrella" top versus these kind. I obviously have no idea what they are but at the moment I'm sticking to learning more birds before overwhelming myself with a whole new challenge. I took the picture simply because to me it looks as though the one is leaning in to tell the other one a secret. Later on I did catch a quick glimpse of an interesting bird, and one that I don't have many closeups of. This female Rose-breasted Grosbeak was hopping about the lower portions of the young Willow trees probably looking for insects. She looked a bit on the scraggly side, maybe ruffling her feathers as she went through the willows. Or possibly it was a juvenile as well. They are definitely not a pretty as the males but it's good to spot any Grosbeaks in the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment