Monday, April 30, 2012

Last Day of April

I had this Monday off of work today and it was one more chance to walk at the park. In keeping with our weather pattern, this first day of the work week was by far nicer than either Saturday or Sunday. The first thing I spotted was on the south east side was this Grackle that I was able to catch through a break in the cattails. I'm always fascinated with capturing any birds with iridescent coloring as they can appear so brilliantly colored in certain light, then nearly black if you take one extra step in either direction. Later I spotted a Blue-winged Teal together with pair of Wood Ducks but my photos turned out pretty crummy. On the north east side I spotted one Bluebird perched out in some dead trees so of course I just had to walk out into the area. From a distance I could see the brightest yellow Goldfinch I think I've ever seen. The light was just right and he was perched against a background of newly greening trees. I never thought I'd get too close but figured I would try anyway. He stayed put until I was almost right up on him at which point I was able to get better photos than I'd every gotten before. My feet were getting a bit wet out here in the swampy areas so I headed back to the paved trail. Later on though I veered off trail again just to see what I might see. Again from quite a distance I spotted a Tree Swallow and wondered if I might be able to get in closer for a better shot. Every time I would gain 5 feet or so I would take a new series of photos as you never know when a bird is going to just take off. But I found myself doing this over and over and over with the Swallow never moving as I got closer. Even with the crunching dead grass under my feet he stayed put on the same branch looking out over the middle of the park. Eventually I found myself nearly right underneath him yet he stayed put. I actually had to back away a bit to get a better shot! Only after I was satisfied with the quantity of photos I'd taken and I moved quickly in the opposite direction did the Swallow finally move on from his perch. It was a good day for getting close to birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment