Sunday, February 26, 2012

Goodbye to February

It's not like it's been a particularly long winter, but I'm always glad to put the months of Jan and Feb behind me. I'm especially looking forward to Spring this year -as we've been teased with tastes of it this whole winter season. Today was a bit warmer than yesterday but without the nice blue sky. I'm starting to see Deer more frequently lately and I spotted this group of 3 or 4 on the southwest side. I wonder if I'll see them in really large groups in early spring like last year. On the west side near the baseball diamonds I spotted my Shrike friend again perched in some shrubby trees just inside the paved trail. I decided to walk into the cattails to get a little closer, trying to stay quieter on the well worn Deer trails. I eventually came out right to the tree where I spotted him only to find that he had moved along. I stumbled upon a plastic Geo-cache container along the way and took a few minutes to inspect it's contents. After closing it up and looking around, I noticed the Shrike had come back to his original perch. I was still pretty close at this point though the lighting was terrible on this overcast day. It was yet another fun Shrike sighting. Now my goal has turned to seeing one capturing or eating it's prey.

No comments:

Post a Comment