Monday, February 6, 2012

Birds of Prey All in a Day

This morning I arrived at the park around 8:30 am and the temperature was 23 degrees. It was sunny again, meaning it would likely warm up into the 30s by noon time. The first thing of interest I spotted was on the south side -on the other side of 69th Avenue. A mature Bald Eagle was perched high up in the tall Cottonwood where I've spotted Eagle numerous times before. I think they like the view of Shingle Creek from here. I crossed 69th Ave. and leaned up against the park sign post in order to steady my camera, though he was still a long way up in the tree. It's been a while since I've seen an Eagle in plain sight and a good start to my morning walk! The next bird I spotted was also a raptor -and even further away. Along the wood chip trail connecting the 2 paved trails on the southwest side I could see a Great Horned Owl soaking up the morning sun where the woods meets the cattails. He was barely more than a dot on the horizon from this distance but I tried to take some photos non-the-less. I sure wish I could have seen him closer in the nice morning sun. Later on the north side I spotted another Bald Eagle -which I immediately assumed was the same one. Later upon leaving the park, the first Eagle was still perched in his same place from this morning, thus confirming 2 separate birds. But before I finished my walk for the day, a third bird-of-prey would make an appearance. I never expected to see a Northern Shrike on the northwest side of the park but his white breast caught my attention against the clear blue sky. He was pretty far away at first but eventually moved closer to the trail, making me backtrack a bit for a better photo. He was just close enough to make out his hooked upper beak through my binoculars which definitely qualifies as a good Shrike sighting. Only later as I was leaving the park and tallying my sightings did I realize that all 3 birds I'd photographed today were "birds of prey!"

No comments:

Post a Comment