Sunday, February 12, 2012

Another Sunny Day

Upon arrival at the park today I noticed that someone had dumped a large bag of garbage just a few feet away from the parking lot. It had gotten torn open and was blowing around everywhere. It irks me so much to see people dump their crap wherever they want and make it somebody else's problem. Not too long into my walk today I spotted a familiar bird that I've not seen in a long time. There were about 5 or 6 Goldfinches hopping around in the thick shrubby trees along 69th Avenue. Though a permanent resident of the lower half of the state, I've not seen a Goldfinch since last Fall. I barely noticed a hint of yellow on 2 or 3 of them and the others were even more pale in color -probably the females. It made me feel like Spring is just around the corner, especially with this mild winter that just keeps continuing. Later on the south side near what I call the "duck pond," I spotted a few Deer trying to get a drink of water. The water here on the southwest side could also be called "lake #4" being the smallest of the 4 separate but interconnected bodies of water that make up the "Palmer Lake" watershed. This particular water is kept open almost all winter by Mallards who adopt it for shelter against the weather. It must have been tempting to the Deer but as they went down the bank, the ducks would scatter and quack, scaring the young Deer back up onto the bank and down the trail. The Deer tried a few more times with the same result which made me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment