Saturday, January 7, 2012

Warming Up Again

The change in weather we experienced last weekend around the New Year has come and gone. Temperatures are once again above average and the little snow we received has melted away. On almost every walk lately I seem to get only a 1/4 of the way around before I realized I've dressed too warmly. About this time today is when I glanced upwards and spotted a Northern Shrike high up in a tall tree. This was on the southwest side right near the water way that connects the two most western bodies of water. I would have never expected to see a Shrike here and I'm amazed at how often I am seeing them this winter! A bit later I noticed something that I just had to take a picture of as it really shows what this winter has been like. Patches of green foliage line the same wood chip trail on the southwest side. A few years back I remember being amazed to see some green leaves in December but this takes the cake. In fact it looked like they might still be growing without the weight of any snow on top. Later I spotted a nice Red-tailed Hawk perched above the baseball diamonds on the west side but was unable to get a decent photo before he took off. At the bridge over Shingle Creek I paused to watched some Mallards walking around on the thin ice that is barely distinguishable from the unfrozen water. It looked almost as though they were walking on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment