Sunday, January 15, 2012

January Warm Front

Following yesterday's cold temperature of just 10 degrees, today was above average at 34 degrees! On top of that it was clear, blue sky and it again feels more like early spring than mid January. I walked in the opposite direction today which proved to be a mistake as the sun was glaring my eyes the entire way and I had a hard time seeing anything. Despite that I did manage to spot a few interesting birds. The first was this House Sparrow on the east side near the baseball diamonds. I haven't been seeing a lot of them, though they are a common bird even through the winter. When I got home and looked at the photo closer, I noticed the green buds on the tree! Not sure if that is normal or if it's due to our unusually warm winter. Later I came across a small group of Starlings, probably less than 10 altogether. They were high up in some tall trees probably enjoying the sun. Though considered a kind of "nuisance" bird, I'm still intrigued by the wide range of sounds they can make. Near the end of my walk on the south side, I heard a bird that has become almost common to me now -a Northern Shrike. I first thought he was out in the cattails again but then I spotted him moving back and forth between some scrubby brush just above the cattails. I am going to have to tally up my Shrike sightings for this season just to see what it comes to. It seems like I am seeing them nearly every visit lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment