Sunday, September 11, 2011

Second Sunday in September

Today was Sunday, September 11th and the 10 year anniversary of the 9/11 attack. I honestly can't believe it's been that long. In retrospect I think about all the time that's gone by and all the outdoor activities I've enjoyed since -hiking, biking, kayaking, snowshoeing etc and I'm thankful for every minute of it. Today you could feel the pending seasonal change in the air, even though it was a bright, sunny day. Small hints of autumn such as an occasional discolored tree or a Woolly-bear caterpillar could be found if you were on the lookout for them. As I passed along the north corner, I noticed a huge hoard of nymph Boxelder Bugs on -you guessed it- a Boxelder tree. I've seen these every year, around the same time, on the very same tree in fact, and I'm always amazed at the swarming mass of bugs. Only just a few hundred feet later I came upon what I call "Hummingbird Heaven," where the trail begins a long, straight shot north. There I was lucky enough to catch another few -possibly last- glimpses of Hummingbirds this season. They are likely "fueling up" now for their long, long migratory trip back to Central America. I'm amazed that these little birds, weighing 2-3 grams can travel such long distances. My later sights included some Mallards on the creek, a Hawk, Cardinal and some unknown, large beetle crossing the paved path. I tried to get photos of this large beetle but he was moving at a pace faster than the average Wal-mart shopper and my camera couldn't focus in time. I did spot a Bald Eagle not too much later but my final photo-pick of the day was luckily not moving at all. This colorful leaf -from I don't know what kind of plant- was sporting some amazingly contrasting color with stripes of solid white in between it's blended veins of yellow and green. I though it was a perfect summary of what out season is like right now, with balanced signs of summer and autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment