Sunday, September 18, 2011

Last Sunday of the Summer

It hadn't dawned on me until afterward but my visit today would be my last this "summer" with Autumn less than a week away. This September has seemed unusually colder than in previous years. We've had the crisp, cool temperatures of Fall while everything is still mostly green. It even froze -hard already, dipping below 32ยบ long enough to shrivel up people's gardens. The deer have been pretty scarce lately but today I spotted 5 or 6 of them. Two were definitely fawns with a Doe, but I couldn't tell the age of the others. This last one gave me some close photo opps as I watched it voraciously eating all sorts of greenery. I don't want to think about the fact that a lot of this green could be covered by snow in just over a month. On the north side I saw something that made me kind of laugh. Two snails were heading in the exact same direction across the path, side by side -only one was trailing behind about 12 inches or so. It looked like a race that would take a few hours. I tried getting a photo with both of them in it, but the one that was 12 inches behind looked like he was a full mile behind and just showed up as a blurry spot. It also won't be too much longer before these little Gastropods disappear too. The one sure sign I did see of things to come was an overturned Maple leaf with some nice dewdrops on it. There aren't really that many Maples in the park -only on the outskirts of the trail. Many of them have prematurely started to turn colors already due to the colder than usual temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment