Sunday, August 28, 2011

Some Rare Sightings

This Sunday morning was bright but overcast; the kind of day where you could see a whole lot of nothing. In fact it turned out the opposite as I had a chance to see a few birds that are rank low on my list of recorded sightings. Being it the end of August and still fairly warm, I paused near the north west corner, hoping to catch a glimpse of a Hummingbird -which I quickly did. Interestingly enough, I was distracted by a larger bird that flew off quickly, flashing an unusual pattern of black, white and brown. I followed this sight to a new perch and spotted a bird that I couldn't easily recognize. The only hint I picked up on thick, stubby bill, making me think it was possibly a Grosbeak. Then within just seconds, another similar sized bird appeared with almost identical coloring and pattern on it's head, but with a bright red patch in the shape of a V on it's chest. I was excited both in knowing that I'd guessed correctly and in getting to see the male Grosbeak so closely! There was an obvious difference though, between this and the few other Rose breasted Grosbeaks I've seen before. This male had not the full, black colored head, but a patterned yellow and brown head just like the female. I can only assume then that he was a juvenile and not fully developed. Even more interesting is that the male was plucking and swallowing the berries from the shrubs. Later on I had a few other good bird photo opportunities including a Goldfinch, Common Yellowthroat and some fledgling Robins. The one I just couldn't pass up though was this Grey Catbird who was singing his heart out. They're not much for coloring but they really make up for it with their songs. Finally, one last thing I thought was blog-worthy, was another rare sighting of a Mink along the banks of the creek where it flows back out of Palmer Lake. I gotta admit, I thought for sure this was a Muskrat, but after watching it -and another one- swim about quickly, dive and resurface, I'm pretty sure they were Mink. It's hard to tell from this photo but it was the only time it came out into the open, whereas the other one stayed underneath the overhanging tree on the creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment