Monday, August 8, 2011

Milder start to August

We've finally caught a break from our hot and humid weather. Both the temps and dew points have dropped considerably making it actually comfortable to be outside again. Also we've had no rain for more than 4 or 5 days, so I was able to take the wood chip trails again. As I got onto the first one from the south side, I quickly realized how overgrown things had become. The trail was almost grown shut from both sides with tall Thistle and other weeds. It was somewhere in here I think that I noticed this Dragonfly with a nice bright red tail. I couldn't get a photo of him from the other side but was happy with the detail in the wings. It was right about then that I was getting seriously bit-up by mosquitoes so I had to keep moving. When I got to the north side, I stopped near the flowering bushes where I'd seen Hummingbirds before. I quickly noticed a flash of orange and realized I'd just seen an American Redstart dart off into the taller trees. I waited for a bit with my camera ready and he came back again for just a few seconds. I snapped this quickly and the focus wasn't quite ready but I'm happy just to have captured one again! I noticed later too that he actually has something in his beak. Not sure if it was food or something to build a nest with. Later in the shadier part of the northeast side I spotted the pair of Fawns again. They seem to be in this area a lot and don't even seem to mind the people watching them. One of the two looked right at me before deciding to lay down for a while. I could just barely still see his gigantic ears through the weeds. The other lazily munched on some green leaves with his back to me. I waited for a while for a better angle but the Fawn was more interested in leaves than it was with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment