Saturday, August 20, 2011

Birds, Bugs and Deer

Even though summer is still in full swing it feels like we've turned a corner with our weather. Upon arriving at the park this morning shortly before 8am it was a cool 58 degrees. I was the first time in months I'd even contemplated wearing jeans versus shorts. Had I actually done so, I probably would have saved myself 20 new mosquito bites on my legs. There were many familiar birds out today but one that I'm seeing a lot of lately are Cedar Waxwings. They are having a field-day due to all the ripening berries. I caught of a photo of this one right after he plucked and gulped down a berry or two. Later somewhere on the paved path I noticed a large insect. It was a Cicada that looked dead at first. I'm pretty sure these are responsible for the high pitched "buzz" that can be heard near any wooded area in the summer time. As kids we always thought the noise came from overhead electrical wires. I've seen them on the ground before -usually dead, but I can't say I've ever seen one flying. I've wonder how well those thin, clear wings can carry such a large body. When I was coming out of the wooded area from the north side I glanced to my left and noticed something out of the ordinary in someone's front yard. At first I assumed they must have purchased one of those ornamental Deer statues. When it moved I was sort of surprised that a real life Deer was walking so closely to the house. A few other walkers came up as I paused to watch and told me that they'd seen Deer in the same yard before. As we all watched, the Deer seemed to get spooked and ran into the next persons yard. As I started to wonder if it would figure out it's way back into the park, it darted in between the two houses and back towards the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment