Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hot Hot Hot

It was nearly 12:30 in the afternoon by the time I arrived at the park this Sunday. It was extremely hot and humid today and I'm learning that I deal better with cold temps than I do with hot. During my entire walk today all I could think about was how hot I was! Minnesota doesn't just get hot but it also gets some pretty extreme humidity -sometimes much worse than even Florida. With the hot temps I really didn't see much for the first half of my walk. When I came to the footbridge over Shingle Creek on the north side, I stopped in my normal spot to take a photo of the creek. I rested my arms on the metal railing as usual but pulled them off quickly as I nearly burned myself on the hot metal! There was a female Wood Duck with quite a few ducklings on north side of the bridge and I almost envied them floating along in the cool water. Not too much later on the northeast side, I spotted a Doe quite close to the edge of the trail. I watched behind her and quickly noticed a pair of fawns trailing behind. A lot of times when I encounter Deer very closely at the park I will crouch on my knees and lower myself to appear shorter and smaller. Surprisingly this has worked to my advantage time after time and generally the Deer will either pay me no mind or even walk closer towards me. This was the case again today as the Doe walked almost within arms reach of me. The Fawns followed right behind but scanned the crossing well before venturing across. Each Fawn was only in plain sight for just seconds before they jumped across the trail. I tried for some more photos at this point but they were already moving so fast that I wasn't able to focus very well. Later in my walk I spotted an Indigo Bunting but was not able to get a photo. I stalked it for a little while, listening to it's call and trying to devise a pattern in my head to remember if I heard it again. I remember it seemed to have 7 notes with an emphasis on the first 2 but I will have to look it up and see if indeed I was listening to the correct bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment