Thursday, May 26, 2011

Severe weather and flooding

Last Saturday we receive an inch of rain. Then on Sunday the 22nd another inch of rain came along with a Tornado that ripped through north Minneapolis. The tornado caused unbelievable damage to homes, buildings and especially trees. After moving through dense neighborhoods it continued northeast, hitting the North Mississippi River Regional Park extremely hard. Palmer Lake Park is just a few miles away -just far enough away to escape any damage. The only effect on the park is a fair amount of flooding from all the rain. I though I'd seen the highest water levels at the park last year but that doesn't even come close to this. Some of the wood chip trails -and even parts of the paved path were actually impassible this evening. Small plants that were growing along the trails are now completely submerged. It will be interesting to see if this will help or hurt the summer plant growth. On the north side of the park I heard a Pheasant crow and for once I actually spotted him upon hearing him. He was in the same place I'd spotted another during my last visit, walking along some low, scrubby trees just above the tall grass. I actually got to see him crow but wasn't fast enough to catch a photo in time. As I was coming back to the south side I noticed a couple of park goers staring at something inside the path. It took me a while to spot what they were watching but it was two young Bucks eating leaves off the trees. Both had an impressive set of thick velvety antlers. I tried for a long time to get them both in one shot but they were moving around too much and it was getting too dark for my camera as well. I wonder if these are the young ones born last Spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment