Tuesday, April 12, 2011

More return visitors

This Tuesday evening I started around the park from the east side just to be different. Upon rounding the baseball fields I caught a glimpse of a yellow bird up in the trees above me. I was surprised to see that it was a Goldfinch. Though my field guide says they are in lower Minnesota year round, I don't typically see them in the park until summertime -maybe June at the earliest. Just before crossing the stream on the south west side I spotted a couple of Wild Turkeys in the thick brush. These were the first Turkeys I've seen at the park since October of 2009! As I tried to get closer they flew over to the other side of the stream and disappeared into the woods quickly. Fortunately I spotted a couple more quite a while later on the north side right before the bridge. They were far away but at least they stayed put long enough for a photo. I spotted quite a bit more tonight that I wasn't able to photograph including a Hawk, Coots, Cormorants and a Wood Duck. I'd also spotted quite a few deer as well, mostly at long distances until I caught this group of 5 to 6 back near the east side. It was getting dark already so I wasn't getting the best shots. When viewing the pics on my computer though, I noticed something I didn't see in the field -both Deer seem to have small bumps protruding from their forehead. It's pretty crazy that just 2 weeks ago I saw a Buck with full grown antlers and now these young ones are just starting to grow theirs. I would have never imagined that this cycle of growth-to-shed could happen within 2 weeks of each other. How weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment