Sunday, December 19, 2010

Common Minnesota Birds

Sunday morning was another cold day and I took just a handful of pictures. Surprisingly enough, after reviewing my field guide, 2 of the 3 bird's I'd photographed were new species (as per listed on the right hand side of my blog). This first one high up in a tree I took for another Downy Woodpecker. Fortunately for me, another Woodpecker was hammering away down below at the bases of some cattails. Only because I'd photographed both of them within minutes of each other did I notice the subtle difference later. The larger one up in the tree clearly had a much longer bill, tipping me off that he was in fact a Hairy Woodpecker. Later, I spotted an odd looking bird sitting right alongside a Robin up in a tree. Though almost the exact same size, he was dark and spotted on the breast. Based on the photo in my field guide from Stan Tekiela, I believe it might be a European Starling. There was not a whole lot more to see other than this lone Crow who was cackling loudly up ahead on the trail. Though one of the most common birds I see, I rarely get a decent photo of one as they tend to stay far away. I will have to get a better photo soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment