Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Big Winter Birds

Today ended up to be a great visit to the park although it started off slow. I arrived at about 9am and it was about 7º above zero. This was not too bad considering the last few days have been below zero in the mornings! Picture opportunities were slim for the first half with just a couple Woodpeckers and 3 or 4 Blue Jays. Then on the northeast side I scared up a Pheasant who flew upwards to roost high up in the trees. This was actually the first time I've seen a Pheasant up in a tree before. This Rooster flew waaaay up in a Birch tree so I decided to off-road it through the snow for a better angle. In the process I scared up a couple of Deer -on both sides of the trail. I think both were pairs of Fawns who were bedded down in the snow. As I neared the south side near Shingle Creek, I noticed another large bird high up in a large Oak Tree. There were 5 or 6 Crows surrounding him and squawking relentlessly. Even from a long distance I could tell that it was a Bald Eagle. I watched the Crows roost within only feet of him and squawk loudly at him. As I neared closer for a photo, the Eagle took off with all of the annoyed Crows following behind him. With all the ruckus of the Crows, I could kind of make out where they landed just up the trail a ways. As I walked closer I could again hear the loud squawking and I figured I might be able to get another, better picture of the Bald Eagle. Again I ventured off the plowed trail but this time found myself knee-deep in 2 to 3 foot snow drifts! Heading towards the sound of the Crows, I trudged stupidly through the deep snow, only to find no signs of any Eagle. Though I could now see the Crows only half way up in the tree tops, I was dumbfounded as I could not spot the large Eagle. Then right there in front of me was a gray shape, large but almost invisible against the white and gray background. -the first Owl of the season, a Great Horned Owl! I am always excited to see them as they normally are only apparent in the winter time and are one of the few birds who will sit nice and still for my camera. Aside from his huge yellow eyes, you might never know this bird of prey was even there. Apparently the Crows knew he was there as the stopped bothering the Bald Eagle in favor of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment