Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Another Fawn Sighting

Surprisingly there are still some Monarch Caterpillars to be discovered. I noticed this one right on top of a milkweed leaf down by the water overlook near the parking lot. He wasn't all that big so he probably has a week or more of eating to do before making a chrysalis. I met a friend at the park tonight and I was telling him about the fawns I had seen two Saturdays ago. As we walked round to the east side, sure enough there they were again in the very same spot! And again they were just inside the woods but eventually came right out into the open near the street corner at 73rd & Penn Avenue. As they wandered out into view the mother Doe was eating leaves from the treetops as the fawns were grazing on the grass. The fawns eventually played a little bit, running forward and weaving and bouncing. I wonder if maybe the mosquitoes get to them enough in the evening to drive them out into more open areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment