Saturday, March 6, 2010

Warm start to March

I only got out for one walk on Saturday afternoon but it was a good one as I saw deer, hawks and an owl. Daytime temps are still hovering around 40 degrees and the trails are now almost completely free of ice. Right after detouring onto the wood chip trail I noticed three deer bedded down in the snow. Two of them were the young one and mother whom I should really just name at this point as often as I see them. The rest of the route was pretty quiet and I watched the clouds move in from the west that would bring drizzle later in the day. On the south wood chip trail I could periodically hear loud movement to my right so I slowed up my pace. When I entered a clear spot there was a Doe standing right in the cattails. If I hadn't spotted her there it would have been really easy to walk right past as she blended in so well with the background. When she finally headed back into the cattails and I noticed more movement and I tried my best to follow the pair as they weaved through the tall brush. Eventually they popped out onto the lake and I held up my camera as high as I could to catch a pic -click on the pic for a better view. Shortly afterward the noise of squawking crows was getting louder and louder. Since witnessing crows hassle both hawks and eagles, I started looking around for the culprit. Though I was super far away I eventually spotted that familiar owl shape. I snapped one long range pic before he had enough of the crows and took off. Ten or more crows immediately followed noisily right behind. I bet he was thinking "I can't wait 'til sunset so I can ditch these guys."

No comments:

Post a Comment