Sunday, December 20, 2009

Closest deer ever

Decided to take a different trail today and glad I did. Right before the end of the trail I came right up on this doe who was much more interested in foraging than in me. Every time her head went behind a tree, I inched up a little closer. As I leaned against a tree to steady my camera, I watched her plunge her snout into the snow over and over again in search of food. Only once or twice did she bother to look up at me and at this point I was only about fifteen feet away! During this time I kept catching a glimpse of movement further behind and I knew at least three more were close. After a while two of them got curious enough to walk up close enough for a photo. Hard to tell now but I'm pretty sure the one on the right is one of the fawns born this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment