Monday, September 14, 2009

Darker earlier

Though a work day, the weather was nice enough to lure me into another walk tonight. This might be my last after work walk for the summer though as it is now stating to get dark at about 7:30pm. Did not see much of anything until rounding the last corner on the northwest side. Just a few feet into the woods I spotted a doe, a buck and a fawn. The buck had a healthy 6-point rack. The doe and fawn really could have cared less about me as I was able to inch closer but the buck stayed further away. Right as I was taking my first few pics, the one deer assumed a posture I've only seen dogs do as they're about relieve themselves. Funny, I suppose deer do the same but I've just never seen it before. As I watched the trio, they seemed to be playing as they were darting this way and that. The fawn would leap into the air awkwardly then dart out in one direction. I was SO bummed as my camera was taking AWFUL pictures as the sun began to set. I decided to back off a little and walk out onto the trail for better light. After a while the fawn and doe jumped right out onto the trail. Then another doe, then another, then another. There right in front of me were 5 deer in a group and my camera wasn't able to capture it. Every photo was turning out worse and worse. Regardless, I watched all 5 of them act goofy for a while. The fawn especially was still jumping and kicking and this would send the others darting one way then the other. It was pretty funny. Shortly after there was probably the most spectacular sunset I've seen at Palmer Lake and I was happy to at least capture that.

No comments:

Post a Comment