Thursday, July 30, 2009

Trouble with Turtles

Weird story. I decide to walk (run) counter-clockwise for like maybe the first time ever. Upon rounding the north east corner I spotted two police officers off to the left of the trail almost in the weeds. One had an animal snare tool and there was a lot of commotion and walkers going by were stopping to look. As I got closer someone said "it's a big snapping turtle." Sure enough there was fairly large snapping turtle right off the pathway probably at least 24 inches long. I suppose someone called it in seeing him close to the path. The cops were clearly struggling with trying to snare him. I asked them if I could take a quick picture and they said sure. I hung around for a little bit to see what they were planning to do with him but then I heard one of the cops say "let's just push him back into the weeds." I figured he'd be OK then so I headed off. Not too much further I spotted a lone buck standing very still just off the pathway. I could just make out his new velvety antlers as I took a bunch of pictures. He barely moved the whole time.
Only upon viewing the pics at home did I realize he had 2 more forks behind the first set. On the south side I attempted to get a photo of a touch-me-not flower before they disappear for the season. A little further I saw a patch of flowers that I THINK are brown-eyed-susans but I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment