Sunday, July 5, 2009

Doe with Fawns

Saw something today I've never seen before! About mid-way up the wood chip trail on the south west side I paused to look around and noticed 2 small rust colored animals standing in the creek. At first I thought they were foxes or something 'cause they were so small. Then I realized they were tiny tiny fawns. They must have been born sometime this week cause wow, were they small! They had both spotted me first and by the time I went for my camera they were already heading for cover. All I managed to catch was the back end of one as he entered the cattails. Seconds later, mom came round the corner and pushed them further into the woods. I tried to follow them for a bit hoping they might pop out on the trail for a better photo. No such luck as they eventually got spooked. As they bounced through the thick woods I counted one, two and three fawns behind her. Not much of interest then until coming back to the south side where there were a couple Egrets and a Great Blue Heron fishing for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment